Friday, November 15, 2013

The power of jewelry

This past January, my mom brought her mother’s jewelry collection home from Ohio as Yiayia Sophie moved into an assisted living facility. As she laid the items out on my sister’s bed, I curiously walked in the room to take a look at what Yiayia owned. As I sifted through the variety of necklaces, earrings, costume and real jewelry that was placed on the bed, one ring in particular caught my eye. Shaped like a football or ‘evil eye,’ this silver diamond ring fit perfectly on my pointer finger. I was destined to have it.

When my mom’s Nouna (godmother) passed away, my mother, Thea and Yiayia went over to her house to pick up the jewelry and other objects they had all inherited. My Thea to this day describes this distribution scene at her house as utter chaos; I imagine it in my head as a group of Greek women acting like a pack of wolves over household objects. I never could fully comprehend how people could be so sick and competitive over material items like tables and jewelry.
But at this instant, I had the ‘ah-ha’ moment and finally understood. I was not going to let anyone have this ring.



Every day in January, I asked my mom if I could take the ring back to grad school with me. Each of my best friends was shown the ring when they came to my house, or photos if they weren’t in Chicago—all fully aware of my lust for it. When my Dad came to visit in February, I asked him to sneak it in his suitcase, but my mom wouldn’t give in. It became a sick obsession with a piece of jewelry that I didn’t even own, and my Yiayia is still alive and could ask for it back.

May came along and my family arrived for graduation weekend. We sat down for family dinner and before even looking at the menu, my mom handed me the ring box. I put it on then and have worn it every day since.

Waiting five months to put the ring on my finger was worth it, as I received it at pivotal point in my life. The ring not only carries emotional weight knowing that it’s from Yiayia Sophie, but wearing diamonds has validated my transition to adulthood. It was there when I defended my master’s thesis, it was there on my first day of work—it gave me confidence when I attended my first conference alone as a young professional. I never realized the power a single piece of jewelry could have. I look down at the ring and am reminded that someone as selective as my grandmother trusts me wearing it, and if that is the case, I can conquer anything. Could I do some of this without a piece of jewelry? Sure, but the ring provides a daily boost of faith and memories of someone I love.

This all might sound insane, but jewelry is empowering. I smile as I ride my bike and it shimmers in the sun, feeling invigorated and ready to keep moving forward. The ring’s impact in a business setting makes me feel like the employee I am, not a 22-year old who somehow got a seat at the table. Its sheer presence on my finger enables me to share my voice and reach out to people I might not have approached. Wearing it makes me want to have good posture. It gives me the confidence to be a businesswoman and not a post-graduate finding her place.

Aspiring for the ring for five months has translated to being aspirational in my everyday professional life. Jewelry, when you let it affect you as I have here, has the power to influence your validity.

No comments:

Post a Comment