Sunday, November 10, 2013

Effective planning: a "secret to success?"

Sometimes, I wonder what the world has come to when news and articles online have to write up that a COO's "path to success" is holding effective meetings (see: this OpenForum article). Is this something new? Are that many individuals in the weeds with a lack of effectiveness and efficiency that this even needs to be reported?


Don’t get me wrong, Sheryl Sandberg is one of my corporate role models and I respect her views, work ethic, how she manages her role at Facebook and manages others.

My takeaway of the article is that Sheryl cares about others’ time and is forward-looking by discussing action items and next steps. She moves on and avoids clutter, not needing to save agendas from meetings and touch-bases that will never be brought up again.

I'm upset rather than inspired when seeing articles like this because I'm sure many corporate leaders user these tactics; this isn't a "secret to success." Have so many leaders in corporate America been unproductive that the media needs to highlight when someone is?

While Open Forum and 99U (where this was published) probably have good intent in posting such items, I urge reporters to look into more interesting story angles for America's businessmen and women. Furthermore, I hope business leaders don't drag out their meetings and that reporters' impression of them is productive regardless, so someone's effective meeting strategy doesn't have to be framed as mind-blowing news.

No comments:

Post a Comment