Thursday, November 21, 2013

My first hockey game

Last week, I was invited last-minute to go to a Blackhawks game at United Center with some clients at work. Of course I took up the free offer, especially having never attended a professional hockey game. This was the case because when I grew up watching more American sports, and never saw its appeal. A mixture of the Stanley Cup victory halo and an extremely loyal fan base in Chicago quickly proved me wrong, ans I was shocked at what I observed at the game.
Out of all of my Chicago sports experiences (the Bulls, Bears, White Sox and Cubs), I've never seen a more energetic fan base present. Every seat was filled, every fan wore a red Hawks jersey and everyone was engaged in the game. After every goal, the whole audience stood up to sing the Chelsea Dagger goal song, cheering like crazy. Although the game went into double overtime and ended in a shoot out, no one left.
Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with the Hawks spirit and don't attribute it to the Stanley Cup, but rather a loyal base of hockey fans in the Chicagoland area. My high school hockey team won the state title back in 2006, and because of the sport's niche appeal, people who follow it REALLY follow it. In the meantime, I'll be a Chicago fan more than a hockey fan, but will always recognize the momentum of a Blackhawks game and never turn down an invitation to one :).

No comments:

Post a Comment