Friday, May 21, 2010

The world is out to get me week



It all started when I was reading Glamour magazine. Helen, Meredith and Stacey were over for the last moon bounce night, I had a good first day back at Fridays, made good tips, then I went back to my lazy summer schedule of reading, seeing friends and working.

The Glamour health and body section started off by reading as follows:

If there were a pill that could...slash your chance of getting breast cancer, help get rid of headaches, cut symptoms of depression almost in half, lower your risk of type 2 diabetes by 50 percent, improve your body image, make you fall asleep 40 percent faster, and help you lose up to a pound a week...would you take it? Well, there's no new miracle pill, but research shows you can get all these benefits from 30 minutes of daily exercise piling up!!!

I was persuaded. Not that I was inactive before, but I craved the daily exercise. I walked the first day, rode my bike the second day and rollerbladed the third day. It was 80 degrees out, I threw on a pair of shorts and took off toward the Glen lake path. Part of me wanted to swim and just jump in the lake, but I decided to challenge myself to go up the big hill Irina and I have skated down before. I got to the top of the hill and looked down, because you naturally go down really quickly and have to watch out so you don't run into anyone at the bottom. I looked down and saw two walkers, figured I could get around them and started skating down.

Halfway down the hill, I looked down and saw some sand and rocks on the pathway. Not only does that make it a little more rough, but there was a large pile at the bottom that at my speed, I couldn't get around. I went over them and tried to balance, but wiped out on my left side shortly after. My elbow, knee and left hip were scraped, my right wrist was bruised, and my left arm and wrist just felt completely twisted, numb and turned-around. The walkers and another man came to my rescue and carried me, my phone and my iTouch which all landed on the ground to a nearby water fountain to rinse the scrapes off. My mom came and pick me up, where we proceeded to the doctor's office then the ER for x-rays.

Now while this sounds like normal procedure for most accidents, I've never sprained/broken/fractured anything, so this process was pretty new and shocking. The doctor wrapped me up with a brace and some bandages and the x-rays showed a fracture but due to legalities, they couldn't tell me if it was 'broken' until I went to the orthapedic doctor.

I just kept thinking, wow, my life is coming to an end. How am I supposed to waitress/make money for the next month with one arm? Type? TEXT? Do ANYTHING in Mexico? I wasn't going to be that employee that makes the next month's schedule get redone because of something small, especially when I wanted to be working.

The orthapedic doctor appointment the next day confirmed that my left wrist was broken and they put a cast on my left arm :(. What a feeling. They said it should only be on for a month though and they're going to try their hardest to get it off before Mexico!! And, if work let me after liability, I can work with the cast!!! So after a not-so-eventful White Sox game with Helen (except we enjoyed ourselves at the Stadium Grille Buffet and in the rain), I slept for 13 hours and went to work with a huge headache. My manager told me I could work and they'd understand if I can't do as much so I did the whole one-handed-waitressing thing haha. Another experience.

So basically, the world is out to get me because I missed the cutoff for 2 As in place of A minuses by .1%, broke my left arm, broke my glasses, have no motivation to do anything productive and am just overall lazy. I'm comfortable chatting online until 2 a.m., which is just useless most of the time. I enjoy catching up with people, but I could do that during the day! Ah.

Well, I hope you come visit me at Fridays so you can watch me serve as your crippled waitress!! Below are photos of my bruises and cast, exciting, right?




No comments:

Post a Comment