Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Cast Life: One-Handed Waitressing

It has been over a week since I've updated this and I have so much to say! This is one of many posts with a quick update before I post photos and some recent revelations.

The cast life has been treating me in an interesting manner, and I'm getting more and more used to it by the day. It hasn't held me back from any adventures I wouldn't have been on in the first place, which is good, but I have to say it does legitimately depress me to not have the physical capability to do things I usually would- like pull my hair back, cut food, text and type normally, hold plates at work, put on jackets...etc, but 2 more weeks until it's off!!!

At my doctor's appointment, the doctor sawed off my purple cast for a check-up a week after the rollerblading fall and put on a new one for the rest of the time. Now, I have a red cast with the sole purpose of it being able to match my Fridays uniform. Like it?!


After being someone who had never broken a bone, I was wondering what it would be like to be 'crippled', and get to see reactions from the public on a daily basis as a one-handed waitress! Some of my tables ask about it right away, some tip more, some tip less and get upset that I can't carry five drinks to the table at once, and some have lame attempts at jokes.

"Were you punching some guys too hard?!", "Rollerblading...who does that?", "Can I sign it?!", and "I told you to stop rollerblading drunk!" are only a few comments I have gotten. In a non-judgmental manner, you can really can tell a lot about people based on the way they stare at it, whether they ask about what happened or if they roll their eyes when they realize they have a one-handed teenage girl serving them their food. I did have one very kind table who came in one evening and returned a few days later to eat lunch and asked me how my arm was feeling and why my cast changed colors. I love nice people.

I've only had two big spills- one where I dropped a pile of plates on myself and covered my apron in sour cream, and another where I spilled four alcoholic drinks on the stairwell. I'll keep you posted with more funny stories as they come!


No comments:

Post a Comment