Friday, June 25, 2010

Hola from Mexico!

Hi loves!!! I miss you all very greatly but figured that if you care, I'll let you know that I'm having a PHENOMENAL time in Mexico!! I only have 300 pictures so far (surprise there) and will try uploading some of them in the near future, I'm on my friend's computer sitting on the only steps in this area that get WiFi (which happen to overlook the Pacific ocean...ahh)

Basically, I'm with a couple of other interns and this week is called OBT, Orthodox Basic Training, which means there are 200 people sleeping in tents while the interns are in trailers, and we are building 6 houses at the same time. As an intern, instead of staying on one site, I go wherever needed (which means I get to meet a ton of random people that I somehow know from somewhere across the country)! It's been fun. I introduced a man to his daughter's boyfriend's older brother's girlfriend's younger sister. How Greek/complicated is that?!

Usually (if you stalk my FB photos from last year), we do this nearby Tijuana for local families. This year, we're trying something different and going to an Indian Reservation for the Kumiai tribe. The issue with this is that it's about 2 hours away, so a lot of people don't want to be driving through Mexico with the drug wars etc.

But Project Mexico pursued it anyway and it was the best decision that was ever made. This two hour drive goes down the ocean coastline, then into the mountains, and it's the most beautiful area I have ever seen. I feel like I'm in Greece. And the houses are coming along so well, the people are interesting and nice, the OBT interns are slowly becoming best friends and I'm really happy.

That's a quick low down, SO much more to come, I'm of course keeping a journal/quote book and each day in a notebook is about 7 pages. Crazy much?

Example before I go to bed: This 2 hour drive took us 4 1/2 hours the first time we went to the site to drop off over 2000 pounds of wood and supplies. In the middle of the mountains, one of the four trucks broke down about 9 miles from the site because it was out of propane gas, even though we filled it with regular gasoline. And noone had walkie talkie/phone reception (there's only 2 phones and a lot of times, we're using walkie talkies to communicate with the other drivers to somewhere), so we were literally just stuck in the middle of the mountains. I was wondering....wow, how will I explain this to my friends? If I were at home right now, I'd be mad over so many other random daily things, but would never had the issue of being stuck in the gorgeous mountains...caravaning wood over to an Indian reservation.

Write me, I sent you all a postcard, thanks Mom & Dad for the granola bars, I really appreciate it, love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment