Monday, June 7, 2010

Another urban week

After the concerts weekend, I had a fun week around the Chicagoland area! I started up meeting up with Shaina at Woodfield where we walked around and it was great catching up with her. The next night, I took the Metra to visit Meredith downtown where we shopped Michigan Avenue (I finally worked up the energy!) and ate at Grand Lux Cafe (mmm)!


I had a fun experiencing purchasing the Bombshell and it was a good investment! On the train, I had some good reading time and in my planner, began a list of my favorite newly-coined words.

  • Slacktivism: Established in a Chicago Tribune article in the Live! section, this is a word to describe the act of people thinking they are activists doing things like joining Facebook groups or internet communities for causes they may or may not care about, but encompasses how the act of joining really is not activism because it provides no real action. The example is how on Facebook one day last year, it became a pattern to post your bra color as your Facebook status to support breast cancer. But what did that do for breast cancer? Raise money? Help find a cure? That type of support isn't always enough, and doesn't even require much effort, and is thus...slacktivism.
  • Interfriendtion: Straight from Sex & The City 2, I define this as being blatantly honest with your friends where they need to hear it most, and feel like it could be a fun word to use :)
Thankfully for me, it has been one of those weeks where everything timing-wise when it comes to meeting up with people has worked out in my favor. Wednesday, I got to see and catch up with Brooke, Jackie, Helen, Elena & Alicia, where we discussed our plan to visit U of I this weekend, which should be really fun! I even got to go out to family dinner at Pizano's, and it was our first family dinner since I've been home!

Thursday, I took the L after work to meet up with Stacey in the area of downtown closer to Lincoln Park and we saw Comedy Sportz and went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant..which made me a ton more excited for the rice and bean breakfast, lunch and dinners in Mexico!!!! Here's us at intermission:

The next evening, after working a double, Jessie, Hannah and I went to Evanston and saw the Purple Haze concert at Northwestern then went out with Becca and Ceri! Look how pretty everyone looks!


After waking up at 6 am in Ceri's dorm room, I went to Thea Tula & Uncle Bill's 50th Anniversary party in Vernon Hills and had a fun afternoon with Lena and the family! We had as many adventures 'stealing' golf carts, running around the golf course and playing with zuzu pets, the new most popular kids toy haha. Lena looked absolutely adorable and finally opened up to taking some pictures after awhile.



Later that night, after I finished watching season 2 of the OC :), Meredith and I bought some awesome headbands at Northbrook Court, one of which I'm wearing below :P, and then Helen and I met up with Elizabeth at DePaul. I can officially parallel park in the city in tight spots =O. Who knew. We went to a pasta restaurant for dinner and had amazing cupcakes and cookies for dessert at Swirls! It was fun for all us to be together again and here we are at Swirls:


That's my life and hope you're having fun! <3


No comments:

Post a Comment