Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Time to pause

One of the biggest complaints in modern society is being overscheduled, overcommitted and overextended. Ask people at a social gathering how they are and the stock answer is "super busy," "crazy busy" or "insanely busy." Nobody is just "fine" anymore. 

In a recent New York Times news analysis, No Time to Think, Kate Murphy comments on our lack of free moments to stop and think. She states that even when we do have a second that is not programmed, we revert to our phones to check social media & other ongoings.

The competitive aspect of it reminded me of another good article I read recently in Harvard Business Review, Why We Humblebrag About Being Busy. We're all guilty of it; I admit to regularly using "busy" as a way to describe my week. But sometimes it takes seeing others do this, especially at work, to comprehend how it comes off.

The best way I recharge in the middle of the day is taking five minutes to look away from my phone & inbox prioritize my to do list. There is nothing more valuable in the middle of a stressful day than a walk around the block. At Project Mexico, 20 minutes of quiet time kicked off the morning to make every day a peaceful day.

The power of pause is real and more relevant than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment