Monday, September 27, 2010

Nothing can ever be perfect...so stay the way you are

If there's one thing I learn more and more on a day-to-day basis, it's that nothing will ever hit perfection. In fact, sometimes I think my life is a running joke. Whenever something is about to be right, it goes wrong. As one thing is accomplished and crossed off the to-do list, another is added. And it's a continuous process.

I finally completed my online history course, and timing issues occurred so I cannot yet even enter my journalism emphasis area. One stressor down, another line of appointments and appeals to go. The weekend approached and I thought I'd have all this time to work....that didn't happen. People commit to something to help an organization to take something off of my position's to do list....and then they don't do it so I end up doing it anyway. I try to check up on my friends and care about their lives...but apparently, sometimes it just comes off as being nosy instead of genuine caring feelings.

Heck, I just spent half an hour typing this blog post, and Safari force quitted and deleted everything I wrote. Didn't even save it as a draft. So I'm retyping what I can remember of it.

And the ultimate best...the backbone of my life, my MacBook Pro, decided that it's brain was full (also called the hard drive in the real world) so I could no longer save files to my computer. And my other favorite life occurrence, I called to make an appointment and was told walk-ins are all day, and as I get to the help desk, a sign is hanging up that says "at lunch...be back around 1:30." It was 1 pm. I had the lovely experience of waiting a half an hour when I specifically called to see how I could avoid doing so. And my computer still doesn't save files to the hard drive...I need to clear more space. Woohoo.

One thing I have learned in marketing that applies to not only the business world, but everyday life is when you should practice mass marketing...never. You can never make everyone happy. It's just not possible.

I, as can be seen, cannot cope with this fact of life. Why can't everyone be happy about something? Don't we, to some extent, share similar values so that one person can value and appreciate that of another? If we all value respect, can't we be happy when someone respects another?

No. Complaints, complaints, something is always wrong. Pessimism, pessimism. Throw some whining, tweets, text messages and whispers in there. People like Bruno Mars and music exist in my mind to reinforce positive ideas and convince us that even while appealing to so many categories in life, people should appreciate you as you are.

You know, you know, you know I'd never ask you to change
If perfect is what you're shooting for than just stay the same
So don't even bother asking if you look okay, you know I say
When I see your face, there's not a thing that I would change
Because you're amazing, just the way you are.

So stay up until 4 a.m. Procrastinate if that's how you work best sometimes. Do silly things. Fill up your calendar. Be honest with people. Yell at the hostess for taking over an hour to seat your table at the restaurant when she told you it would only be 45 minutes. Sleep for 13 hours instead of being social. Respond to text messages in your sleep just so you don't disappoint people with non-immediate replies. And yes, these are all things I have done this weekend.

This personally gives me hope that someday, somewhere, I will meet people who will teach me that someone will appreciate who you are. When I am stressed or disappointed during the day, I stop, breathe, pause and think "Because you're amazing, just the way you are." "Because you're amazing, just the way you are."

It's encouraging, and inspires you to do what keeps you happy. I am happy where I am, although these struggles come along the way, but fight through them with this hope. So when you're upset, remember that staying strong to the person you are is the first step to reinstating your overall happiness, and I will do the same :).

No comments:

Post a Comment