Thursday, September 9, 2010

The little things during the day

My latest realization as I think of stories to share with others is that in general, my life is not very exciting. I just make a big deal about the small things that happen to me on a daily basis and make them stories, which I guess is pretty typical of journalistic behavior. Or just am used to reporting things as stories, so I share them as such.

Anyone who is friends with me could probably tell you that I tell pointless stories. But sometimes, they just need to be shared! Why do people tell things? Sometimes for sympathy, affirmation, just to have someone listen....but today, I'm sharing them out of aggravation. All of this could have been avoided if people valued preparedness, or admitting their mistakes. But they don't...let's take a look at my past two mornings.

Yesterday morning, I took an exam for my online history class (2 assignments and 2 exams to go!) and was told to have a specific journalism advisor send an email to an online course advisor to get something confirmed. Quick task- right? It was a 'walk-in Wednesday' so I wanted to verbally explain this to the advisor rather than email back and forth for a couple of days to have this simple task figured out. Walk-in Wednesdays don't begin until 10 am, so I was told that gosh forbid I interrupt someone a couple of minutes early, I should just wait 45 minutes. At 9:55 am, I saw the advisor I needed to speak with take her purse and leave the office. WHAT? I went into the office and questioned the secretary about it...asking, were you planning on telling me I've been waiting 45 minutes to talk to someone who just left for the day? And she goes, oh, no, sorry. Great waste of morning. All she had to do was say that the woman was leaving her office, and this would not have happened.

This morning, for MSF I was supposed to register people for a research conference. After arriving at 7:40 am, some other MSF members and I realized that the conference we were told was today is actually happening tomorrow. Yay for waking up hours early, and putting on our polos and nametags for no reason. So I head over to Starbucks, needing a strawberry lemonade blend to wake me up. And the barista said, "We're out of strawberry puree, and lemonade." WHAT?! Two days in a row of disappointment, and when I'm running on only a few hours of sleep, my first instinct is to break out into tears. Great. Thank you self-control. If Starbucks' manager would have noticed this the night before, they could have walked a few blocks down to the other Starbucks and picked it up, continuing to happily serve customers and take over America. But no, instead, I, the brand-loyal consumer with a gift card, walked downtown to get my strawberry lemonade.

Giordanos' freezer broke on my birthday leaving them out of ice cream, Jamba Juice eliminated my smoothie from the menu, I'll never forgive Panera for discontinuing my raspberry brownie cake.... I must be really strange if things like this happen to me so often.

But when Fridays runs out of food and I'm working, I tell my tables at the beginning so they don't get disappointed. I also acknowledge the fact that if my manager would have noticed that we were short on something, we easily could have obtained it earlier. So, I think everyone should do this so I don't get angry in the middle of my long days. And have to tell such pointless stories. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment