Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ghostown of Columbia: Labor Day Weekend

For those of you who have never seen the town of Columbia, Missouri on Labor Day weekend, it's dead. Everyone goes out of town since especially in Greektown, the women have been here for a month and need a break. That puts everyone in St. Louis, Kansas City, Lake of the Ozarks, Chicago, and very few of them here. I made the decision to chill in Columbia and go up to St. Louis for the day with friends to watch us beat Illinois! That still left some silent time in CoMo on Thursday and Friday, with more relaxing time to come today and tomorrow as people come back in. Here's some photos and stories from the eventful weekend that was not as homework-productive as it should have been, but very fun and a lot of bonding time :)!

At the Reserve to visit Anna and seeing Kyle & Leshard! Twainers stick together!

Saturday morning, Kathryn, Laura, Shaina and I took off for St. Louis around 7:30 am for the first Mizzou football game against U of I! After some not-so-good football and a stressful first half, we beat Illinois 23-13! Go Tigers!

Lesson 1: If you want to tailgate, plan it in advance with everyone you want there- a car, food, location, drinks, games, everything....and then you don't have to wander. I think wandering and meeting people is fun, but I would probably enjoy the tailgating experience more if everyone I wanted to see at the game was in spot beforehand an after, thus a lesson to apply to Kansas City Thanksgiving break!


Marching Mizzou creating the state of Missouri- represent!



How awesome it was to see Brooke Atlas (front left at the 40 yard line) as the drum major of Marching Illini! Great job!


After the victory, the 4 of us along with Andrew & Sherman roamed the streets of St. Louis since the weather was gorgeous. We ate dinner at Friday's with not-so-good service and only a partial black card discount =O, and took photos by this lovely fountain--where we happened to come across a Segway tour and a wedding party that M-I-Z'd us! Amusing afternoon.


Friends :)


St. Louis Arch


Andrew's talent at taking jumping photos! And gold beads are in my face, haha!

The 6 of us at the Arch, no one has killed each other yet!


Lesson 2: Two hours of driving now feels like nothing. After traveling so much this summer and daily commutes in Mexico to San Jose de la Zorra, I don't really have a time perspective of traveling until I think of the total commute. Example- I could've gone home this weekend, but I thought that there was a lot of work I could do in the extra 12 hours I save by not going home. But a 6 hour drive to Chicago and back seems like nothing.

Lesson 3: In the nearby future and for Lent, I am utilizing some variation of giving up texting. I text way more than I should and always expect to have a text message when I look at my phone...always. I think it's incredibly rude to text across the dinner table, others in the room within a small group of people when something is funny, but instead of saying it aloud, mass texts occur. I am not 100% ashamed since I'm not initiating the texts, but I'm participating and being rude without even noticing it anymore. It's like when people don't even realize they swear because they're so accustomed to doing that...I don't want that to happen to me with my phone anymore than it already has. So I am laying off my phone and not going to always be talking to someone else, but focusing on the task at hand. Newest goal, wish me luck! And that doesn't mean you can't text me....it just means I won't necessarily respond within 10 seconds and will wait until after I'm done eating lunch with whoever I am, or done with class, or whatever meeting I'm at.

That's my update and hope all is well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment