Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cafe con leche

News to the world: Katie Artemas is a regular consumer of coffee. Beware.

It all started last Friday. We arrived Córdoba around 7 a.m. and couldn't check into our hostel until 11 a.m., so we went to desayunar/get breakfast. For just 12 pesos ($3 USD), Stacey, Armeen, Lauren and I were served a large glass of cafe con leche/coffee with milk, orange juice, two medialunas/croissants, two facturas/other bread thing I can't translate, dulce de leche and butter. I added a pack of sugar to the coffee and took a few sips. It wasn't that bad. In fact, it was just what I needed.

I never got hooked on coffee because I didn't like the taste. But with just the right amount of milk and sugar, it was the perfect addition to breakfast. Warm, sweet, refreshing, secretly caffeinated...yum. The next few mornings, I wanted that same taste and continued to buy coffee. Another glass while traveling, and the addiction grew so much that I woke up and left for work early (what?) to get cafe con leche to bring to work.
Cafe con leche (left) with orange juice and medialunas (right)

Vacation to Mendoza this weekend made it even worse. We got free coffee and medialunas during the bus ride on Friday morning, and had it again Saturday and Sunday. As much as I dislike the smell of coffee beans, the taste of sweetened coffee with milk is slowly becoming one of my favorites.

Good thing I'm living in a sorority house with a coffee maker next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment