Tuesday, June 14, 2011

TKM

Total Katie Moves. We know TFM (total frat move), TSM (total sorority move) and more, so I'll describe my stories from today and some from the past week in terms of TKM- total Katie moves. I'm sharing them in this format because they're all things I would, stereotypically as myself, do. Enjoy!

Every day on my way to the Subway I walk down Puerto Madero. Because there are plenty of historic boats, tall buildings and a beautiful bridge, there usually are people attempting to take "Myspace-style" pictures by holding the camera up and trying to get their self, spouse or kids and the whole background. Every walk home, I probably offer at least four times to take pictures so these people can at least have one good picture from their trip! And sometimes they even say no!

On my way from school to work this morning, a random man stopped me on the street and asked me for directions to the big Russian Orthodox Church. Oddly enough, not only did I know what and where it was, but I knew how to give him directions even though it was a mile away! This church looks like it's from the movie Aladdin with a huge blue exterior, and now this man will get to see it before I will! Yay for looking authentic enough to be asked for directions twice in one week!

I saw a ton of huge equipment on the side of the port so I stopped and asked a security officer what it was for. He said in honor of Argentina's national donate blood day, they were lighting Puente de la Mujer, a big white bridge, red for the night! How cool is that?!

Second part of that story: The security guy didn't quite say it was national donate blood day, he probably did but more, he just mumbled a lot and I heard "sangre" so I looked up that it was national donate blood day THAN went back to see the red bridge at night.

I've spent the past two days working on an intense 1000-word paper for my journalism class on the recovered factories movement of Argentina, and whether I think worker self-management is possible in the United States. It's actually been fun to write and research, so I put it on my Wordpress professional blog so you could see. Check it out! TKM.

Our apartment has a doorman downstairs named Angel. He gets a kick out of the fact that we're American, and tries to mess with us. As customary polite people, I usually greet him by saying Hola! ¿Qué tal?- which means Hi! How are you?! He always responds in English just to make us mad. Stacey finally greeted him in English once and sure enough, he replied back in Spanish. So when I greeted him and he answered with HI, HOW ARE YOU? I couldn't even respond because I was laughing so hard to myself. Awaiting a response, I said "bien, ¿y vos?" to his English, which finally forced Spanish out of him. Haha!

Yesterday, I stayed at work 45 minutes late just to chat with coworkers at lunch…and didn’t even realize I was there that long.

After seeing that Facebook, GroupOn, Pandora and LinkedIn have recently made or are in the process of making initial public offerings, I researched what IPOs are and why you would make them.

Jordin and I went to buy empanadas and the price had gone up from 6 pesos to 6.50 pesos...and we noticed. If that's not already a TKM, we questioned it and then realized that .5 pesos (50 centavos) is only 10 cents more in the United States. So it wasn't even that big of a deal.

Regardless of whether the door says tire/pull or empuje/push, I still don't pay attention and walk into it. Whoops.

When Stacey and I saw the tango show (two Fridays ago), we walked into the Subway station to head home and I saw our train in sight ready to leave. I ran into the station, put my card in the machine and it processed but didn't have enough time to let the silver steel turning bar that lets you onto the other side turn fast enough. I rammed right into the bar and still have a purple bruise on my right leg. #fail

My coworkers shortened this story into a comical phrase. "So you met people on the street, they told you to go to this club in La Plata, and you went?!" Yup. My best comparison for my Chicagoans out there is if someone approached you downtown and said "Hey guys, we have the party of the year....all you have to do is get on a bus to Elgin." I don't know what makes these situations okay when you're studying abroad, but we're safe and alive, right?

Last but certainly not least, there's a politician running to stay in his current position as Chief of Government of Buenos Aires, his name's Mauricio Macri. His election slogan is "Mauricio en la ciudad," and upon hearing this, all my roommates and I could think of is Carrie from Sex & The City saying..."sex en la ciudad." So we utilized our Photoshop skills to make the following mock images of Mauricio en la Ciudad. Don't worry, there's more to come, but we're journalism majors, we make infographics for fun, right?

There's more. Apparently Sexo en la ciudad really WOULD be a better slogan for our good friend Mauricio because he's been divorced twice already and has three kids! #politicians #adultery

Our personal favorite, Carrie Bradshaw's Mauricio poster

Mauricio with Sex in the City/en la ciudad

"Juntos vivimos bien" literally means "We go well together" en español,
so this image is mocking Mauricio as Carrie Bradshaw, legs up, laptop in hand writing a story,
telling Samantha from Sex & The City how well they would go together.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment