Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lunar eclipse!

Today was a pretty cool day to be in South America. In case you didn't see Google's cool logo of the day, there was a lunar eclipse! Unfortunately, it was really cloudy and difficult to see especially toward the end, but YouTube live-streamed video! Here's a screenshot:
So I even watched while I was working at Artemisa. TKM.

It's that week of the summer semester of "first-rounds," in terms of papers, exams and class assignments. So right now, I'm writing an essay on the New York Times's tendency to report sexist stories against women. This idea was raised by Caryl Rivers in her book Selling Anxiety: How the news media scare women and furthered even more by additional sources. This AntiAmerican page furthers the evidence, and gave me some interesting New York Times stories to base my essay on.

Researching this reminded me that online news media likes to set up paywalls, where you can only see a limited number (five to ten) stories before paying for a subscription. Good thing I have Safari, Firefox and Google Chrome on my computer, because I have New York Times sexist stories pulled up on all three!

Other than that, it's been a pretty uneventful day. We learned about Argentina's Dirty War in our journalism seminar, I ate some dulce de leche ice cream, went to work, that's about it. The travel agenda for the next week will be pretty amazing though, and you'll have to wait to hear about it since I'm not bringing my computer! Ha!

Exciting places we're going:
  • Tigre, a town formed of islands about an hour outside of Buenos Aires
  • Lujan, a town outside of Buenos Aires
  • Montevideo, Uruguay
  • Iguazu, the waterfalls of Argentina
Then back to school and work! It's a nice little "winter break" for students in Argentina, or travel time for students abroad who don't really get a summer. So definitely things to look forward to!

Lastly, as Carolina (our trip advisor) was editing Stacey's work for her internship, we realized two mockable lessons about journalism in Argentina.
  1. Editorializing. Stacey was questioned as to why she always refers to sources as saying "dijo" (Spanish for said) instead of using other synonyms. The US taught her well, but apparently Argentina likes to sensationalize things and editorialize!
  2. One source Stacey included in her video from an event was a woman in attendance. They removed her from the video and commented that there is "no need to add the statement of the public." Geez!
More to come as they appear! I haven't realized these things firsthand because I'm doing more agency work than articles, but we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment