Thursday, June 9, 2011

American much?

There's plenty of things that make me an obvious American in Buenos Aires.

If the blonde hair isn't a big enough hint, the next clue is my MacBook laptop. I'm sitting in Universidad Austral right now waiting to go to work, and besides being the only student with a computer taking advantage of the free WiFi, I'm certain that I'm the only one with an Apple.At work and even school, all computer labs are PCs. Apple products like Macbooks and the iPhone have barely arrived to Argentina. Apps are unheard as Facebook and Twitter are still on the rise. If someone is seen on the Subte or in public to have a "nice phone," it's a Blackberry.

I find this observation interesting because in the US, especially at Mizzou, Mac/Apple and Steve Jobs are taking over. Everywhere you look you see white headphones, an iTouch, iPhone or lit-up Apple on someone's computer. If you're really going to dominate the market, isn't it time to start the international advertising and not just depend on news coverage? The cost and amount of people who could afford it is a possible reason, but just makes me more embarrassed to even possess this technology in public.

Hashtag of the day: #downsideofbeingAmericaninaforeigncountry

Sidenote: While the obvious solution might seem to be not bringing or using my computer in public, this is not debatable because I'm required to bring it to Carolina's office and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment