Saturday, October 9, 2010

Live from Northbrook

I am happy to say that this post is being published from Northbrook rather than Columbia, since I am home in Chicago!

It's the perfect point in the semester to take a little break, feel caught up on life and spend time with family. Why am I home, you ask? As much as I travel, I'm not the type of person who takes off just to take off. Sunday is Sts. Peter & Paul Greek Orthodox Church's 50th Anniversary, with a lovely banquet that has been planned for years by now. There will be about 950 in attendance and probably be the fanciest event I attend until my wedding. Excitement is in the air. I'm also thankful to be sitting at an entire table of college students who are also home or taking time out of their schedules for this dance!

But until Sunday awaits, what do I do to fill the beginning of the weekend? Well, to start, it's Glenbrook North's Homecoming. I visited Torch today (my high school newspaper) to notice that not only has the room been redone, but Mr. Halpern had left....sad day. The paraprofessional at the door gave me an incredibly tough time to let me into the building, and the dean/other nearby teachers let me in gladly and we had some great conversation. I had the pleasure of running into Vicki (fellow-Torchie) who did the same thing I did--going to visit Torch and not being allowed into the building--and Mr. Pryma (GBN's principal) greeted us happily. He pointed out, "Katie, remember two years ago today you were going crazy about the parade?"

Memories galore! Two years ago, the beginning of my senior year, I was in charge along with one other person to plan the Homecoming parade in downtown Northbrook. It was a success, and I even stopped by today to watch the seniors in my position go crazy over every little detail. It made me appreciate my high school involvement and personal relationship with every staff member or student that said hi as they walked by me in the parade :).

So far, it's been a pretty productive trip home. Family and friends time is what I need, and since it's not a fall break or anything, I'm not going absolutely insane with seeing people at various restaurants. My productivity so far has been pretty good for the off-weekend-ness...
  • Becca and I ate at Flattop in Evanston and then saw her room in DG!
  • Elena, Elizabeth and I met up at Walker Bros. Pancake House for a delicious breakfast for Elena's birthday. Who would've known that we would all be home at the same time/find time to meet up? No Friday classes=awesome.
  • Mom, Yiayia and I went to Egg Harbor (breakfast #2)
  • Manicure and pedicure...because why not. Right before the pre-Homecoming girls crowd came in, and got to read some Glamour.
  • Watched the Sts. Peter and Paul (SSPP) event DVD documentary and learned more about our history/laughed at the beautiful photo slideshow! The more I see such things, the more I want to play with iMovie and start making my own movies. If only I had time...

No comments:

Post a Comment