Saturday, October 9, 2010

Incentive to friendship

One thing that has come up a lot lately and been on my mind are the concepts, small things, incentives, benefits, give-and-take atmosphere and the idea of friendship. As I continue to keep in touch with friends from home, see my friends from freshman year of college that I might not live with anymore and meet new people and become acquainted with them, I wonder why we develop friendships.

What is the incentive to friendships, and applying it further, relationships in general? What does an individual get out of being a loyal friend? Should they deserve to get anything? Is it intrinsic feeling or actions that pay off in the future? Does the feeling of mutual understanding or having similar interests with someone pay off for being a good friend to them?

I don't know. I know that society reinforces the idea that you "do unto others as you would like them to do to you," but I personally believe that selfishness has skewed some perspectives on this. People have begun to think with more of a mindset that "no one would do this for me....so why should I do it for them?" That's not a reasonable way to flip the question. I could and have gathered Biblical evidence, inspirational quotes and more that note completing actions out of your own humility and more, but you can realize those on your own; it will affect you more if you find it yourself.

So in my personal experience, if I had to define the main reason I maintain friendships, it would be because I like to know that the people I love are safe, healthy and happy. Is it nice to have people you are connected with to discuss issues with? Yes. Does social interaction make people excited and give them things to look forward to? Yes.

Friendship by definition encompasses relations or intimacy, feelings and dispositions and association. Let not the idea of association make you happy, but the fact that you chose and intrinsically care about the people you associate yourselves with provide the fulfillment friendship should give us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment