Friday, October 24, 2014

Summer hits an end

Since I moved to the city last October, I kept hearing how much everyone looks forward to a "Chicago summer." Growing up in Northbrook, I didn't really understand all the hype. People look forward to summer everywhere. Why is it any more special in Chicago?
Visiting Osaka Garden in Hyde Park after seeing Promontory Point
So this summer, I took note of exactly why it was so exciting and why Chicagoans say that.
  • Rooftops
Chicago has a ton of rooftop bars with amazing views
Roof at The Wit, IO Urban Roofscape at the Godfrey Hotel, the J. Parker, Citizen Bar, Packing House, Epic, Three Forks, and Vertigo at the Dana Hotel are just a few that my friends and I hit up this summer. Patios like Kirkwood, Sheffield's, Las Fuentes and The Dawson are just a few more outdoor gems that were frequent destinations.
Chris, Lexi, Gwen and I at the J. Parker
  • What a big deal it is to be able to not bring a jacket
There is already coat check at most restaurants and bars in the city, and the days of going to work without a coat are long gone. Because the winter (and fall...and sometimes spring) are so rough weather-wise, people sensationalize summer because of how glorious it is to not have loads of clothing.
  • Baseball games
With both Wrigley Field and US Cellular easily accessible from anywhere in the city, and many businesses carrying season tickets, baseball games provide an easy, quick nighttime activity. Because of that, I went to 12 baseball games this summer (and only paid for 3 of them!).
Some coworkers and I at a Cubs game
  • Boat cruises
With Lake Michigan right here, boat cruises are quite the event. There's nothing like being on a boat with all of your friends and seeing an amazing skyline! I am thankful to have gone on three- one on the river, one on the lake and one at Lake Geneva in Wisconsin!
View of the Chicago skyline from Lake Michigan
  • Festivals
I wrote about these earlier in the summer, but the festivals never end. Whether it's a neighborhood festival, burger fest, art festival or the Air & Water Show, there is always something to see.

Jessica, Meredith and I at Lakeview Taco Fest on Southport

No comments:

Post a Comment