Thursday, October 9, 2014

Death With Dignity Act back in the news


Recently, I noticed on my Facebook NewsFeed that a story about a 29-year old choosing to die was going viral. Only seeing the headline, I had no context as to why: if it was a suicide, homicide, illness, etc.

Brittany Maynard is a 29-year old California woman diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, and after understanding how the treatment would impact her, she made the decision that it wasn't worth living and she would move to Oregon, where the Death with Dignity Act is enacted, and pass by euthanasia.

The raising of this issue (and controversial law) by the news again reminded me of a phenomenal documentary I watched on Netflix, called How to Die in Oregon, which outlines the same issue. 

Regardless of your views on death, euthanasia and the legality of physician-assisted suicide, I highly recommend you read her story and watch the old documentary to hear the meaningful stories of those who make this decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment