Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Observations from Boston

On the way out to my client’s Connecticut headquarters, I was lucky to spend the weekend in Boston with my friend Lauren, who moved out there for grad school after graduating from Mizzou. I had been to Boston in 2008 and 2010, but this was my first visit as a 21+ year-old and more frequently-traveled adult who can observe normal things. In fact, this blog is even old enough to recount my 2010 trip here.

Well, with a different lens – here’s what I observed about Boston in two days:

1. So many neighborhoods in such a short distance.
Copley Square and Back Bay, Fenway, Brookline and Coolidge Corner…what’s the difference? Where does one start and another end? The T train makes everything seem very far away with so many lines and stops, but everything in the city seems to be within a few miles.


Lauren and I at brunch at the Met Back Bay. Yes, that is nutella-stuffed, salted caramel banana french toast.
2. Expensive cost of living.
Lauren’s boyfriend told me that there are studies reporting Boston being one of the most expensive places to live in America, with young adults and families spending upwards of 50 percent of monthly income on housing. With such a strong college presence (Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Emerson, the list goes on), students and their frequent moves drive up housing costs.

3. Building uniformity and boutique shopping, everywhere.
Lauren lives blocks away from the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue – right off of Newbury Street. The neighborhood appeared in my head as a combination of Hell's Kitchen in New York and Old Town in Chicago. There was no shortage of stores, boutiques or brick buildings in this area of downtown.
Walking down Newbury Street
4. A blend between the suburbs and the city.
What surprised me about Boston was how quickly you cut from the city into suburban territory. In just a few minutes from downtown, we were in Alston at a popular bar chain called Tavern in the Square. And the suburban bars have lives, similar to Westport in Kansas City, they’re not lame. Harvard Square felt like a strong mixture of the suburbs & city life, very similar to Evanston. It was cool and comforting to see this type of integration as a 20-something.

5. Dunkin Donuts, everywhere.
Seriously. I know Chicago and New York have a lot, but Dunkin Donuts dominates Boston.

6. The seaport and industrial area by the ocean.
We went out this way to visit Harpoon Brewery, and learned that this part of town is growing quickly. Granted, it’s not cheap to be on the coast, but was full of construction, new buildings and great restaurants. In addition, Harpoon Brewery’s raspberry UFO (unfiltered offering) brew is my new favorite beer.


Lauren and I on a bridge by Boston's World Trade Center in the industrial area
Beer flights and pretzels at Harpoon Brewery
7. The Massachusetts Avenue Bridge.

Crossing the bridge on Massachusetts Avenue from Cambridge into Boston was gorgeous and unreal. MIT is lucky to be right there on the Cambridge side, and besides being at that level of intelligence, I wish I could be on their campus purely because of the location. If I had more time, I would have taken a panoramic shot, but I am never going to forget driving across the bridge at night and drowning in the view. The water, the skyline, the perfect sky…what a beautiful place.
This photo doesn't do it justice- but my iPhone attempt at capturing the bridge.

1 comment:

  1. That's where she lives?! That area is so cute! I fell in love with the houses/cuteness/boutiques/etc. Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete