Wednesday, January 11, 2012

iPhone update

Now that I have had an iPhone for three weeks now, I've been thinking about how it has changed my life. Here are the top 10 most noticeable differences!

1. I actually READ Twitter
All of those dull moments where I'm waiting- to get picked up, in lines at the grocery store or at a stoplight, there is now something to do. I can catch up on news and my friends' momentary thoughts on the Twitter application. So I'm definitely over-informed. 

2. GPS 
I've never owned a GPS, so setting out to drive somewhere (like Ohio where I am right now) without even writing down directions is a relief. Because of this, my goal is to still always know my bearings and where I am going and not just follow what the GPS says without having any idea where I am.

3. Email....without a computer
I was able to take a vacation without my laptop for the first time in years, and STILL have full access to my email. I could reply if I wanted to or just know things right as they come, without carrying around a huge device! The iPhone definitely offers plenty of ways to keep in touch with work life.

4. Voice activation
If I am driving and want to reply to a text message, I can just dictate to the phone what to type rather than try it myself! Granted, you need perfect enunciation for this, but it's pretty awesome!

5. You can look up anything nearby
Apps like AroundMe let you choose a category (ex: gas, coffee shops, grocery stores, bars) and it will show you the names, addresses and phone numbers of all locations. You don't even have to think about entertainment, coupons or specials when leaving or going into a city- it does it all for you!

6. AutoCorrect
In a book I presented for my management class about how the internet is changing our brains, it reported that we strive less for perfection in terms of spelling, writing and more because we live in an immediate world where you just want to be out there. AutoCorrect confirms this hypothesis by making me a lazier typer, just typing words close to what I'm trying to say knowing it will change it. I've never been this way with spell check, so it's a strange difference, but a convenient one. Copying and pasting allows you to send the same thing to multiple people without others knowing...muhaha.

7. HeyTell
HeyTell is a walkie talkie app that you can use with other friends who have smart phones. Most question why a walkie talkie is necessary when you have a phone, but I am a fan: you don't have to text or type out messages, you don't listen to rings and the other person can reply at their own convenience. You can Hey Tell people when you get outside to pick them up instead of waiting to call. And my friends think it's the most fun thing that's happened to our phones!

8. Headache from the screen
If I stare at the screen for too long, especially in a car or moving space, I get a huge headache. Therefore, I'll have to be careful about how much I think I can do on my phone!

9. Push notifications 
"Push notifications" can be granted to any app, giving you up-to-date reminders about what is going on with it. This sense of immediacy has definitely changed how I think about things, from email, to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, maps and more. The option to know things right as they happen is insane but where society is at.

10. iPhones are like Twitter- the more friends of yours that have them, the more fun they are.
I don't know what provokes such excitement, but when a friend responds to a text message and the text is blue, I am ecstatic. This blue text denotes that the person you are texting is actually "iMessaging" you, or sending messages through the Cloud. Which next, means that they obviously have an iPhone. You can then FaceTime them (which I still haven't tried yet), be friends with them on other apps, and more. Therefore, it's a lot cooler to have friends with the phone for sharing purposes as well as group MMS text messaging that puts multiple people on the same message!

No comments:

Post a Comment