Monday, March 7, 2011

Lent begins!

We are almost approaching the one-year anniversary of this blog!

When Lent begins, I think of something I can give up that will help me as a person. Unfortunately, giving up meat and dairy won't do that. So for the past two years, I've given up Facebook. Not just to not be there, but because of the time it gave me to do more valuable things. It made me less focused on what was going on with people I might not be close with and more focus toward the people I am. It was a sacrifice and a disconnect, but it helped. Many people looked down upon me for creating a blog during this time, but you can see now what that has done. Given me an outlet to express thoughts and feelings, share news (and pictures) with the world and helped me improve my writing. Selfish? Moderately, but helpful? Yes.

As much as I would love to give Facebook up again, I can't. It has become a huge means for communication for college students. Organizations I'm with such as Relay For Life share information and reminders on Facebook, people don't know how to publicize an event without posting it there and inbox messages are sent instead of e-mails about important things. Because I cannot fully take this sacrifice, I'll be going on Facebook just once a day (this is improvement).

When thinking of what I wanted to give up for Lent, I thought of what my weaknesses are and what I spend too much time doing. I discovered something that was making me rude and inattentive....text messaging.

I've made this a goal before, but Lent just provides more inspiration to do so. I found myself texting about situations in which I could call just because that's what other people did, and I don't do that--I'm a caller. My group of friends tends to text each other across the room to share 'secret' information--that everyone will find out anyway. If I received a text message about something moderately important during class, my focus in class greatly diminished and I would freak out about the message's content. So I believe the sacrifice to stop texting will help me focus more on the tasks of being attentive to the people I am with and the things I am doing.

Note: This is not meant to be a burden on other people. I'm just trying to decrease overcompensation and lack of focus so my responses may not be as immediate as before, but they will be sent at appropriate times.

Below is what I have hanging up in my room as a daily reminder. I encourage you to do the same thing!

Recap of the past few weeks

Last weekend, Kathryn, Laura, Shaina and I went to Kansas City and stayed at the Davison residence!
The middle schools in Shawnee had a mixer at Shawnee Mission Northwest, and we went to chaperone as Laura's mom is PTA president!
Sunday morning, I went to Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church in Kansas City, Mo. and was shocked at its resemblance of Sts. Peter & Paul! Red carpet, open altar, the iconography- it was scary how alike they are. The service was ran the exact same in terms of English-Greek too!
Laura and I celebrating Mardi Gras!
Saturday morning was the Mizzou-Kansas border showdown for men's basketball. As this picture shows, we got ahead of Kansas at one point! We easily could have won, but only made 22 percent of our baskets. There's always next year....or every year in football.
At the game
Amy and I went to Les Bourgeois Winery for one of the nicest meals we'll eat...ever! It was a great birthday present and a nice time to enjoy rural Missouri.
That's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment