Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Networking, networking, networking...

I am a 19-year-old college sophomore who has two more years of undergraduate schooling. But we live in America so it's never too late to start thinking about where I'm getting a job in two (or three) years, right?

I don't know whether to attribute it to being at the University of Missouri or just being a young adult in the United States, but everything revolves around networking. It's all about the future. If I don't go meet the Associated Press recruiter when he is at MU now and today, the impression is given that I will just not get a job. If one of my parents or grandparents' best friends from who knows where does not own, manage or work as a CEO of a major agency, I won't get hired!

We do not have time to focus on the here and now. The perfect job opportunity, mentor to meet, or professor could be right in front of our eyes in a specific course but we would not even realize it. Students are too busy seeing what else they can sign up for 'networking'-wise that I don't think I don't think many would discover the opportunities right in front of their faces. If they are following Arik Hanson's blog (a popular blogger in America) or seeing who one can find on LinkedIn or Twitter during class, how are those professors supposed to write recommendations?

I advocate futuristic thinking, but sometimes it gets to be a little too much. I learned the value this summer of recognizing what's right in front of you and appreciating it. But now I am back at school and revert back to the norm (note: the norm for Type A personalities and my friends)- going after every opportunity. I enjoy those opportunities, but I need to define my limits. I took advantage of two opportunities in the past week that were beneficial to my college career and 100 percent networking, but remember not to go too overboard.

Friday, Nov. 5, I went to Kansas City with AAF Mizzou (Advertising Club, American Advertising Federation = AAF) to tour three agencies. We went to Two West, VML and Barkley & Associates. They were all prominent advertising agencies in the KC area and potential employers. The atmosphere was a lot more relaxed than one would anticipate, and the students in attendance did everything from listen to employees speak and give us their job descriptions, brainstorm about potential client campaigns and watch and analyze promotional videos.

But one way I applied the networking lessons I advocate is that while I saved every business card and the contact information of the associates, I have to remember...I am only a sophomore. Most of these agencies aren't even taking people my age as interns. One might call me an 'overachiever,' but that is not the case. I'm learning what interests me and how to apply it to what I do now. Last year I could not have told you what media planning or being a public relations account executive was, and now I can say that I am considering them for potential careers. The more I hear about what these people do and what you can do in college to prepare you for that, the more excited I get to enter the work force. So my idea of networking is to learn about myself and what I want out of my future in the process. I also met a variety of great individuals that I never would have met if I did not go on this trip. I was in the car for four hours with four people I had never met, and we had great conversation about the agencies, jobs and life at Mizzou right now. Plus, we had an awesome lunch with carne asada at an authentic Mexican restaurant called Manny's in KC. Bonus! Thus, this trip was a worthwhile experience and I look forward to more AAF trips in the future!

This past weekend fully encompassed networking as Saturday, I attended Mizzou's 1st Annual Leadership Academy. The schedule of events for the day consisted of two speakers and a closing address by Chancellor Brady Deaton, the opportunity to attend four breakout workshop sessions in a variety of topics, and a nice lunch and networking reception in the New Student Center. It was hard to decide which sessions to attend since there were a multitude of options, but I went to one on event planning (typical), Leadership Leverage- how to apply your college experiences with organizations to your future, leading effective meetings (what I will be doing as Phi Mu's vice president) and networking & connections.

Me, Susan, Katie and Stephanie at the reception.
Six Phi Mu women were in attendance!
While learning a lot of information from these four sessions, the last value I learned about networking is not only the value of knowing adults in the professional field, but people on your own campus. The networking and connecting session ended with a speed-dating atmosphere of getting to know the people in the room, and I met students from a variety of campus organizations. Not only will I appreciate their kindness and friendship, but there is a two-way benefit in networking. We can acknowledge each other and participate in each other's events. I may or may not have recruited Relay For Life teams and Maneater advertisements in these conversations. But I also learned about how I can help one of the hall councils with not even too much effort. It was an excellent opportunity to attend the first time the university held this event and meet so many leaders from around campus, and I look forward to attending the Academy in the future!

To conclude, I encourage you to see all the benefits of networking, while also living in the present. Be professional in what you do, but keep your eyes open and appreciate the wonderful experiences and people you meet by doing it.

Now I need some more business professional attire, huh? With all these interviews, events and elections in the past week, my suit outfits, collared shirts and high waisted skirts are exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment