Saturday, January 24, 2015

Museum free days

One of my 2015 goals is to hit up more of Chicago's museums. While summer was focused on festivals and fall still allows for outdoor activities, it's the perfect time of year to explore indoor locations and venture over places that aren't walkable in your neighborhood.

In an immediate effort to make progress, some friends and I went to the Adler Planetarium on MLK Day. I missed this field trip as a child and had never been there, so it was fun to check the exhibits out and specifically - learn about the planets. Adler was very kid-friendly and the deep information was difficult to focus on, but I'm happy I went once. I even got to try on an Oculus Rift headset!
Me, Blaine, Morgan, Harriet and Stacey at the Adler
On Tuesdays, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Streeterville is free for Illinois residents so that was my next stop. Meredith, Hannah and I visited after work to explore its present exhibits. Anne Collier's was one of the most detailed, who is an artist known for a variety of trends in her work. This ranged from colored post-it note, to cameras, to records and then to body parts.
One of Anne Collier's pieces at the MCA
I'm looking forward to exploring the Museum of Science & Industry and Museum of Mexican Art next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment