Sunday, February 3, 2013

My favorite Super Bowl ads so far #SB47

Note: this is not an in-depth advertising analysis of advertising strategies and goals, but rather- my personal opinion of which advertisements might succeed!

1. Best Buy - Infinite Answers
This commercial featured Amy Poehler asking "infinite questions" to the Best Buy associate. The questions we're hilarious (What is LTE? Can this read 50 Shades of Grey to me?) and didn't even need a celebrity to capture the point. Good purpose, good humor.






2. Audi - Bravery
Audi invested a lot of money in the Super Bowl, with a sponsorship and the 1:00 prom spot. I like this one because it seems very on strategy, showing the courageous teenage boy with its "Bravery defines us" tagline.


3. Toyota Rav4- Wish Granted 
Another pretty long spot, but I think it was very cohesive. Watching the tire blow up at the beginning caught my attention, and the follow-through on the wishes  with "Your wish is my command" was cool. There were some other things thrown in that made me stray away from thinking it was a Toyota ad, like camera time spent on the Satellite Radio, but the family along with the "Let's go places" tagline made it pretty enticing. 



4. Taco Bell - Viva Young
I could tell this spot was for Taco Bell when I heard the Spanish "We Are Young" playing and thought of the Live Más tagline. This commercial exceeded my expectations because it is directly aimed at its target. After it ran, the positive Twitter response was all from young men, meaning it accomplished its goal. The old people were funny, and the target thought they were funny too. The song was cool, the production seemed intense and I enjoyed it!



5. Wonderful Pistachios- Crackin' Style 
This commercial is just plain hilarious. Psy's Gangnam Style was HUGE this year, and I was surprised in the first half when no one had done a spin on it. This spot takes a lesser known brand and is making a name for it with a celebrity endorsement that drives a stronger connection with a food, since you can't get the picture of these pistachios out of your head. 




Other highlight:
Not a commercial, but HOW ABOUT THAT BEYONCE HALFTIME SHOW? Despite the conversation about her killing it, check out the following series of tweets in 30 seconds JUST when Destiny's Child came on!



Now, I'll head back to reading Twitter's reaction to the #SuperBowlBlackout and enjoy the rest of this 30 minute break!

2 comments:

  1. I can see why you’ve picked these ads – they really do possess the potential to be remembered longer. What makes them work for me is that they’re not too literal in delivering their tag lines. One thing that an ad should not forget is to make the audience think and realize something. :] -->Allan Holaday

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Best Buy commercial is one of my favorites too! Amy was really funny! I think everyone enjoyed the Wonderful Pistachios “Crackin’ Style” commercial too. It looks a bit ridiculous, but it’s still really catchy.

    Jim Chabris

    ReplyDelete