Sunday, October 28, 2012

Convergence Final Project

Now that we are done with the upfront work in my convergence class, we end the semester with a final project applying all of the multimedia lessons learned. For this project, I am in a group of 3 students that will produce a multimedia project on a story topic of our choice. As we approach the end of the semester, here are my goals for the finished product:

  • Keep all reporting with a journalistic purpose. In class, we have been talking a lot about having a journalistic mission. While multimedia reporting, it's easy to get distracted from the story's purpose and acquire the best footage. Therefore, I aim to keep each multimedia component of our story on track. 
  • Improve my video recording skills. Video reporting was particularly difficult for me- especially filming sequences. I hope to practice this and walk away with some solid video. 
  • Shoot photos and capture good moments. After learning a lot about photojournalism during the beginning of the semester, I hope to apply these skills and really contribute some good visuals to our project. Both of my partners' strengths are in video filming, so I really see this being somewhere to take charge. 
  • Be a patient reporter and team member. I'm working with two international students, and English is their second language. Because of this, I am not only producing a project, but acting as a liaison between our sources and my teammates. Sometimes, they think of a word or description in their native language, but can't think of the phrase in English. Usually, once we discover the message intent, it's something great that will really help our project. Knowing how our group meshes together will be a driving force for patience and an excellent completed project. 

I'll measure how I attain these goals at break points the rest of the semester to assure they are being accomplished. After we field report once, twice and start creating the website are good check-in points to measure the status on these. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment