Sunday, October 28, 2012

A new kind of Homecoming

Each Mizzou Homecoming has been special. Freshman year of college, it was the fascination of the campus decorations, campus-wide spirit and watching all of your hard work and "pomping hours" pay off. Sophomore year, ESPN Gameday came, Mizzou beat Oklahoma and we rushed the field. Junior year, it was the Homecoming Centennial, bringing thousands of alumni back, and I had the opportunity to serve on the committee and celebrate with my family. So how could all of that be topped this year? As a senior, technically 1st year grad student, I can't say I was very involved in the preparations. I didn't pomp or put boards up all night for house decorations. It was my first year watching the parade instead of being in it. And I haven't been working since last March with preparations for Homecoming weekend like I did last year.


But Homecoming gained a special meaning this year; it was the first time alumni that I'm close friends with all came back. All of my best friends at school's families come into town and tailgate together, and my mom was able to come in too. I got to meet up with my Mojo team who I spent so much time with last semester, sorority sisters and other friends from activities who I now realize I won't get to see too often in the near future.

Me, Chris, Lexi and Natasha having a Mojo reunion at Big 12

All of this makes it one of the best weekends of the year. It's nice to break apart the phrase and think about it literally: all of the alumni and families come home - to see their friends, kids, alma mater. Everything else is just the icing on top of the cake- with the tailgating, house decorations, parade and nights at the bars- facilitating all the fun. I look forward to coming back next year and seeing not only campus, but my best friends and their families!

Mom and I tailgating before the game
Twainers and families in town at the tailgate

No comments:

Post a Comment