Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Weekend adventures: coastal walk

One of the top recommendations I had received for Sydney was visiting its beaches - and walking the monumental path in between two of them, often called "The Coastal Walk."

This is a 3.5 mile (6 km) stretch between Bondi and Coogee beaches, two of the more well-knowns beaches for views and surfing.

My host and I walked it for roughly three hours with some pauses for swimming, as I finally got a hot, sunny day in Sydney instead of a rainy, cloudy one. From chatting about Australia and the area those few hours, here are some items I learned:

  • The ocean in Australia is very strong, with waves up to nearly 15 feet while I was at Bondi. 
  • Lifeguards are not always a paid position in Sydney, with many of them acting as volunteers. It fascinates me that a city that doesn't need to tip its servers since they're being compensated so well doesn't pay all of its lifeguards. 
  • One of Australia's most popular reality TV shows is called Bondi Rescue, an entire show dedicated to lifeguards saving tourists at Bondi Beach. I didn't know how they have enough content to keep this running, and understood why the minute I stepped in the water
  • There were Instagram models all over the walk posing by the rocks, which you had to just laugh at :) 
Gordon's Bay, one of the best views on the walk
My MediaVest host Andrew who is also participating in the exchange program
Waverley Cemetery - high tombstones right on the ocean. This was probably my favorite part of the walk.
The crowded Bondi Beach - people braving 15 foot waves together

No comments:

Post a Comment