Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Finally on Venmo

When it comes to emerging money technology, I’ve been a late adopter compared to most of my acquaintances. I have done the basics that 20-somethings have learned about the past few years, but have resisted making a habit of what’s next and new.

I have transferred money between accounts on my bank’s mobile app, taken a photo of a check to deposit it, use ATMs occasionally and friends have paid me back on Chase Quick Pay. But at the end of the day, I find comfort in walking in to my bank, speaking to the teller, depositing and withdrawing money in person and walking out the door with a lollipop.

Kathryn convinced me to innovate and finally download the Venmo app. After a slight hiccup in getting the bank connection up and running, I set everything up this morning and accepted my first transfer. The ease of doing so was not what shocked me; something else did.

Venmo has made money transfer inherently social. You can create your account with your Facebook login, automatically upload your phone and Facebook contacts and the photos carry over. The technology and trust factor has not only been overcome by teens and 20-somethings, but they’re using this money transfer app as a way to communicate both visually and verbally. I was dumbfounded at all of these emojis and comments for something as simple as paying someone back.

I look forward to not only using Venmo, but seeing what fun emojis I can use when paying people back :).


A screenshot of my Venmo screen

No comments:

Post a Comment