Thursday, March 7, 2013

Last basketball game

One of the most fun college memories I have over the past four years is attending Mizzou basketball games. This Tuesday was the last home basketball game in the student section of my college career, and I was happy to go with Kathryn, Sherman and Andrew - the best friends I have gone with to pretty much every game in college.

The game was bittersweet, and particularly interesting because it was the first time back at Mizzou Arena for former coach Mike Anderson, who stepped down from head coach in 2010 to go to Arkansas. After a lot of skepticism, "Faith in Haith" marked our next two seasons and games continued to be exciting. 

At the last basketball game each year, senior players have the opportunity to say a few words the crowd at the end of the game, in addition to celebrating "family night" and being recognized on the court. The three graduating seniors were Keion Bell, Alex Oriakhi and Laurence Bowers. The first two gave quick, cheery speeches, but then came Bowers - who gave a shout-out to his friend and player that recently left Mizzou basketball due to sexual assault allegations

"I told this guy I would never forget him when I got the mic, and that's Mike Dixon. I know he's not with us, but he's a part of this class, too, and we love him. Other than that I don't have too much to say. M-I-Z."

The arena was tense: some boo-ing, some cheering, I can't even describe the discomfort. The Missourian created this piece about reactions on Twitter. It created an awkward atmosphere because each individual's reaction showed their opinion on a controversial issue that still lurks around the Mizzou campus. Should Dixon have been able to play? Should he have left? Should we support a sexual assault victim? Is he not guilty? No one knows, but people take the news as they will. 

Between the coach situation, Dixon comment and last student game - the way everyone felt during this game really proved how sports create such strong emotions. I was almost brought to tears when each senior walked onto the court with his family at the beginning of the game. We were screaming with excitement at all of the slam dunks and three-point shots throughout the game. Our friends were emotional as we sang "Old Missouri, Fair Missouri" at the end. 

Even though I can't attend each game in the future, I'll continue to follow Mizzou basketball for years on end and smile at the camaraderie, arena atmosphere and experiences with my friends I had from 2009 to 2013. MIZ!



The intro video & start to each Mizzou basketball game 
Now...
And then...the four of us at a game sophomore year.

The scoreboard from my first Mizzou basketball game in 2009
Andrew, me, Sherman, Kathryn and Laura picking up our Big 12 Basketball tickets at Mizzou Arena at 7 a.m. I think I have more photos of us waiting in the cold in college than I do from games themselves!
Andrew, Sherman and I at one of our first basketball games freshmen year. As you can see, our outfits don't really change that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment