Monday, September 10, 2012

Seeing the world through a different lens


After completing just a few photography assignments, I'm already starting to look at moments from a different perspective after attempting to capture them on camera. Manually taking photos has really made me gain an appreciation for still moments in time. I have been challenged to find decisive moments, facial reactions and interactions--and realizing how difficult they were to capture reminded me how special they truly are. I can enjoy the physical appearance of a friend's laughter, a memorable exchange between a group of people or the details of a scene...and sometimes even wish I had a camera with me.

Because of that, photo work has taught me the importance of context in everything humans do. We are constantly curious, and expect to see see the full scope of what is happening around us. We are not satisfied with just one facet of an atmosphere and demand additional information because it is so easily accessible. Therefore, photography has affected my worldview because it reminds me to take note of context, place scenarios with accurate background information and appreciate the moments going on right in front of your face--rather than trying too hard to find moments that won't arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment